Take the next step in your career with FCS Financial, part of the nationwide Farm Credit System, and act on this opportunity to join our top quality agricultural lending institution! FCS is seeking a Senior Leader who empowers and develops their staff and drives for strong results. We are looking for someone who takes initiative, is driven to get things done, delivers high-quality results, is precise, and that can manage multiple priorities. This position serves as the Controller and leads our Financial Operations Team. This position is located at our Central Office in Jefferson City, Missouri.
This position is open until filled.
This position is classified as Exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Supervises: Director, Financial Accounting Operations; Assistant Director, Financial Accounting Operations; Accounts Payable Specialist
Financial Analysis and Reporting
- Reviews and/or prepares financial reports including shareholder reports, Farm Credit Administration Call reports and management reports, ensuring report accuracy and timeliness
- Reviews quarterly and annual report documentation and disclosures to ensure proper substantiation and all regulatory reporting requirements are met
- Interprets new guidance and regulations for the association and ensures compliance with Farm Credit Administration regulations and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Oversees timeliness, accuracy and reconciliation of general ledger, fixed asset and accounts payable accounts
- Manages data from multiple sources to ensure financial integrity
- Collaborates with Credit and Risk Management to assess and record allowance for loan losses
- Serve as an Asset Liability Committee member with primary responsibility of preparing analytical reports and supporting material to be discussed in committee meetings
- Evaluates internal control processes within the association, identifying and implementing process and procedure changes to improve the strength of internal controls
- Represents the Finance department in System-wide Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR) efforts and participates in the completion of a comprehensive internal control analysis
- Ensures internal controls are developed, implemented and documented to meet new disclosure and regulatory requirements
- Coordinates responses to requests for information from internal and external auditors
- Leads the financial operations team
- Provide leadership for assigned staff, including effective performance management, identification of training needs and personal and departmental development plans
- Determines division of responsibilities, provides work guidance and direction and ensures appropriate resource allocation
- Assesses and recommends staffing levels
- Identifies training needs and resources
- Collaborates with Human Resources to maintain the variable incentive plan
- Sets employee annual goals for performance and incentive measures
- Calculates incentive payments for direct reports and verifies the results
- Implements action plans to ensure financial objectives are attained and the Finance department continues to bring value to the Association
- Communicates and exemplifies FCS Financial commitment to employee and customer engagement
- Performs all duties and maintains all standards in accordance with policies, procedures and guidelines and ensures staff members follow the same
- Leads the development of the financial and budget reports for the Board, management and regulatory agencies
- Prepares sections of the budget using forecasting software
- Analyzes budget for completeness and accuracy
Data Security and Confidentiality
- Manages the Association’s general ledger, accounts payable, asset management and account reconciliation
- Verifies that appropriate support and documentation is included for the Finance functions and controls
- Reviews, follows-up and properly addresses potentially misstated items
- Engages, collaborates, initiates and completes projects with other Association partners
- Appropriately protects the confidentiality, security, and integrity of the Association, employees, customers and other stakeholders
Other duties as assigned to meet the needs of the organization.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Expert knowledge of accounting practices and methods
- Expert knowledge of accounting software applications
- Expert knowledge of internal controls practices
- Expert knowledge utilizing Excel to increase efficiency and/or effectiveness
- High level skill in consistently meeting deadlines while managing multiple priorities
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and regulatory reporting requirements
- Working knowledge utilizing Hyperion for analysis of financial records
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Word and PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of budgeting process
- Skill in managing, coaching, motivating and developing an accounting team
- Skill in communicating objectives and effectively delegating tasks
- Verbal and written communication skills, sufficient to exchange information and influence decisions and actions of subordinates, peers, supervisor and customers
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Expert customer service skills, including the ability to communicate complicated information, deliver bad news effectively, and exceed customer expectations
- Critical thinking skills in analyzing information to judge, compare, calculate, evaluate and critique such information as written materials, numerical data, responses to customer needs and/or other work related activities
- Skill in organizing material and information in a systematic way to optimize efficiency
- Skill in working as part of a team and collaborating with colleagues
- Positions in this class typically require: fingering, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
- Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and other sedentary criteria are met.
- The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer screen; and/or extensive reading.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance or a related field
- 5 years or more of progressively responsible financial management experience
- 3 years’ supervisory experience
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to perform the essential functions of the job
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Financial Account (CFA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) preferred
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Human.Resources@myfcsfinancial.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.